Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Continuing my Lutherie Education

About a month ago, I started working with one of the most awesome guitar builders in the nation, Ryan Thorell. Although it's only been a short time, I can already see some of my skills improving. Watching and learning at Thorell's shop has been a huge help to me, and I hope to be here for a while. I can only imagine how much I'll learn in the future.

I recently built a set of custom pickups for a Thorell guitar, which has 3 bass strings and 4 guitar strings. The pickups are in sort of a P-Bass configuration, and are RWRP in respect to neck and bridge positions. You can see the pickups here:

I'm pretty excited to see how they sound, and what the customer thinks!

On my own time, I'm working on building a pretty interesting guitar - I'd call it a mostly hollow (instead of semi hollow). It's got a redwood body with a douglas fir top plate, mesquite bridge and fretboard, redwood neck with carbon fiber reinforcements, a pickup I designed in the neck position, and will have an under saddle piezo pickup. The pickups will be run through a blend pot, volume, and tone. Can't wait to get it done and play it!

No comments:

Post a Comment