Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bringing a '68 Fender Bronco Back to Life: Part One

I picked up a '68 Fender Bronco a while ago, and started working on it yesterday after putting it off for a few months.
I really like the tremolos on these guitars- one of the reasons I bought it- but this one's got a busted-off mounting screw. That's gonna be a fun one.
Somebody sprayed some cheap-o clear coat (I'm thinking it's polyurethane) over the fretboard and neck, so the fretboard was the first thing I decided to attack. I measured this stuff at being nearly 1/16" thick in some places - gross.

Getting the clear coat out of the spaces between the frets wasn't too bad, just a pretty time-consuming process.
 What I found to be most difficult here was to get the nasty buildup next to the frets.
I noticed when I bought it the pickup wasn't adjustable. Think I found the problem there (in the picture, the springs are just hangin' out on the bottom of the pickup). I put 'em where they should be.
There was a shim in the neck pocket that looks like it could be as old as the guitar. Fixing an oopsy at the factory maybe? I'm not sure, but that was interesting. Here's a picture of the electronics, just 'cause I always like to look at those in different guitars. .05 tone cap? Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment